Wednesday, September 24, 2014

On Saturday, I sat down at Starbucks with a friend who I had not seen in about year. We spent the first 20 minutes catching up over our caffeinated drinks. I felt a little guilty that most of the reason I asked her to meet with me was to talk to her about Arbonne, curious if anything I had to say would spark her interest. In high school, she was a social butterfly, bouncing around between various "social groups". She ate extremely healthy food; Whenever I was at her house the cupboards were stocked with organic food. She was the perfect candidate for this business: a talkative, social, young person who cares about what's put into her body. 

As she told me about her job, a minimum-wage cashier gig, I realized that she was an even better candidate than I thought, and I nodded and "mmhm"ed while I thought of how to inform her of an alternative job without making her feel like she was being attacked. 
Finally, I asked her if she had ever heard of Arbonne. She shook her head so I took this as an opportunity to rant about the freedom the company gives you and negative connotations about network marketing. I attempted to cover everything, with as many words as possible, in as little amount of time. I gabbed about the safe and beneficial ingredients, the financial freedom, and the amazing, successful people I have met.
By the time I was done and gasping for breath, her eyes were as big as silver dollars. 
Dammit, I thought, I have completely overwhelmed her. 
I was right. She replied with something along the lines of, "Uh...It sounds like you're really passionate about it," in a slightly confused voice. I took this as another opportunity to share my excitement with her.
"I am! I'm very passionate about it! I would love for you to come to a meeting with me and see what it's all about!"
After that, the conversation slowly dropped off a cliff. She nodded meekly, mumbled something about "letting me know", and we chatted for a few more minutes about different topics before we went our separate ways once again. 
I realized that it was not my best attempt. My concerns of "attacking" her and coming off as pushy were totally confirmed by her standoffish manner after I blabbed for too long about Arbonne. 
Talking to people about a business is tricky, espescially because I knew that the opportunity would benefit her in so many ways, but to her, it probably seemed like I was only interested in benefiting myself. My failed attempt was a huge learning experience for the next time I try to inform someone about Arbonne.
  Less words and more casual conversation is the way to go, as to avoid turning the relaxed meeting into a lecture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment